Sometimes we get stuck seeing things our way. Would you like to see some things through another set of eyes? Maybe it will make you think and stretch or maybe just chuckle or shed a tear. Here is my world through my eyes...

Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Music #15: Naturally 7--Wall of sound

As I mentioned in a previous post I enjoy acappella music.  It is amazing to me what can be done in music without instruments and limited to just the sounds that a mouth can make.  I have recently found a group I hadn't known before that do a great job and have a unique sound.  Their sound is referred to as "vocal play"(I've heard it called "beat boxing" before as well).  They define the difference between vocal play and acappella like this: acappella is singing without instruments, vocal play is using the voice as instruments.  It is unique and very enjoyable. 
The group is made up of brothers Roger Thomas and Warren Thomas.  Rod Eldridge, Napoleon Cummings, Dwight Stewart, Garfield Buckley and Hops Hutton.  The following is how they are listed with their singing and vocal play abilities: Roger Thomas (musical director, arranger, 1st Baritone, Rap), Warren Thomas (percussion, guitar, clarinet, 3rd tenor), Rod Eldridge (1st tenor, scratching, trumpet), Napoleon (Polo) Cummings (4th Tenor, guitar), Dwight Stewart (2nd baritone, vocals, trumpet), Garfield Buckley (2nd Tenor, Harmonica) and “Hops” Hutton (Bass).

The story they tell is that vocal play got started when as kids the Thomas boys wanted a drum set but their mother wouldn't agree because of the noise it would produce.  So Warren started making drum sounds to fill in where he wished he had the real thing. 
The song I've chosen to highlight is from their latest album called Wall of Sound.  The song here to listen to is the title track.  I think the video is creative and enjoyable as well as the song, enjoy.

Naturally 7: Wall of Sound


Here are the lyrics for the song:

Higher and higher
I'm building seek
Consumed by desire
It's killing me
Like a moth to the fire
I go willingly
With windows of fame but they can't keep it safe so

I built this wall, all around me
I built this wall, to surround me
I build this wall, from the ground see
These sticks and stones can't break these tones no...

Shout out..
Shout out...
Shout out all you want to

I suppose call me Mr., Please Acknowledge me
Self imposed I'm a prisoner, no apologies
Wrote a note to my listeners, don't you follow me
I'm probably strange but i know i can change cos

I don't wanna be alone anymore
There's a hole in my soul
Yet I'm happy at home no

I built this wall, all around me
I built this wall, to surround me
I build this wall, from the ground see
These sticks and stones can't break these tones no...

[Rap]

I built this wall, all around me
I built this wall, to surround me
I build this wall, from the ground see
These sticks and stones can't break these tones no...

Shout out..
Shout out...
Shout out all you want to

I built this wall
I actually first heard "of" them about five years ago when I was talking to a friend of mine and telling him how much I enjoyed acappella music.  He mentioned that his daughter had been watching an acappella group on T.V. and he couldn't remember their name.  I was purchasing lots of acappella music at the time and ask him to find the name.  he agreed he would ask his daughter.  For the next year every time I ask him he forgot to ask his daughter.  Zoom ahead to last Christmas and I ran across their Christmas album and enjoyed it a lot.  I determined this might have been the group that my friend was trying (although not too hard) to tell me about.  Sure enough when he heard the name he recognized it.  It was a tough road but I finally found them and am enjoying them now. 
Here is how their website describes their success:  "With their rich harmonies, an unbelievable ability to replicate instruments and a stage presence that can be felt in every seat of the house, Naturally 7, the first vocal play group ever, are amazing, charming fans where ever they perform."

1 comment:

  1. looks like a group of talented guys! i am most impressed by the guy who was the guitar :) and i also liked whoever was doing the electronic tones in the background. it was fun to see them acting like they were playing whatever instrument they were imitating

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...